The Basketball Travelers asked me to update their web sites, assist with streaming video content online and providing photography services for their Paradise Jam College Basketball tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
In parallel, the Basketball Travelers were also hosting the Junkanoo Jam basketball tournament on Grand Bahama Island for which I created the JunkanooJam.com web site and assisted with web content updates and live video streaming of the event at the same time. It got a little bit crazy, but in end the results were pleasing.
The following was accomplished for the tournaments:
- First time live video streaming of the Junkanoo Jam.
- Created a photo gallery to assist with the posting of photos from the Paradise Jam in a timely manner so that more than one crew member can post images. The images automatically re-size into thumbnail and display sizes uploaded and assigned. The Drupal photo gallery can be used for future tournaments.
- Moved the web sites to a dedicated server so that they would remain available during the high event traffic spikes.
- Created Drupal photo gallery for Paradise Jam
- Created JunkanooJam.com web site
- Updated static HTML ParadiseJam.com web site with game results and other content using source control management.
- Created a live game statistics feed for Paradise Jam game that included custom logos representing each team. The stats were updated in real-time from the score table.
- Overcame the internet connection challenges for both events locations. Including closed ports and connection stability.
- Supported an overwhelmed Windows Exchange e-mail server.
- Assisted with chaperoning the students during snorkel tours.
- Assisted with welcoming the students to the Island at the airport and hotel.
- Supported internal IT systems including LAN, Printer and Point of Sale.
Needless to say, I had a wonderful time working in paradise. Everyone at the Basketball Travelers welcomed me to St. Thomas and I began working immediately. The local community was awesome and the Island was really beautiful.
This was truly one of the most positive professional experiences I have ever had.